Entitlements of Officers on Transfer or Appointment

Version Number


Implementation Date





​This procedure outlines the responsibilities and entitlements of departmental employees who are public service officers or temporary employees engaged under section 148(2) of the Public Service Act 2008 on transfer or appointment.  Entitlements are available only to those officers granted approval to incur expenses.  Letters or emails of transfer/appointment indicate whether such approval was granted.


​Transfer and appointment expenses are made available to assist eligible employees to defray the costs associated with a transfer or appointment. Information as to the actual amounts available to employees in regards to expenses that may be incurred is contained either in the Entitlements attachment or the associated directives i.e. Transfer and Appointment Expenses, Domestic Traveling and Relieving Expenses, Motor Vehicle Allowances.

Transfer and appointment expenses are available only to those employees granted approval to incur expenses.  Letters or emails of transfer/appointment indicate whether such approval is granted.  Where an employee was not granted expenses and wishes to question the basis of that decision, initial contact should be with regional office managing/servicing school from which officer is being transferred or to which officer is being appointed or with the manager of their new business unit.

Officers should familiarise themselves with the details of the expenses that have been approved for their move (in writing) and can only incur expenses that are in accordance with this approval. Claims for refund of expenses should be made on Transfer/Appointment Expenses claim form which is available on the department’s intranet site. 



  • is responsible for following the steps detailed in the Process section of this procedure.

Regional Office:

  • provides advice around entitlements as appropriate.
  • contacts Workforce Recruitment and Employment for advice around entitlements where required.

Workforce Recruitment and Employment:

  • liaise with Toll Transitions on issues related to removal and entitlement to expenses as required.
  • provide advice to regional office staff and/or employees on transfer or appointment removal matters as required.

Financial Branch:

  • process personal expenses claims.


Applying for expenses on transfer or appointment

Employees applying for transfer or appointment expenses

Eligibility to entitlement by movement type

Removal arrangements

Toll Transitions removal information  

  • Submit completed Request for Removal of Household Furniture and Personal Effects form to Toll Transitions as soon as possible after receiving appointment or transfer approval paperwork.  Inventory detail provided should be as accurate as possible, as it is used to estimate volume and in turn cost of removal consignment.  Employees may need to meet costs associated with the removal of excess volume (e.g.. cost of moving items in excess of department funded maximum limit of 50 m3).
  • Utilise the Toll Transitions internet site where possible as electronic lodgement of inventory minimises the possibility of non-arrival or delay in receipt of information and assists in Toll Transitions internal processing arrangements. 
  • Refer to indemnity cover information and understand the implications of not having appropriate cover amount. 
  • Return completed Request for Removal of Household Furniture and Personal Effect form to Toll Transitions at least three weeks prior to preferred date of removal (where possible). 
  • Apply in writing to Workforce Recruitment and Employment if requesting removal on a weekend outlining reasons for the request. The advice will be used to support a submission to Executive Director, Workforce Services seeking approval of refund/payment.

Alternate removal arrangements

  • Contact regional office if seeking approval for an alternate private removal arrangement.


  • Any private arrangement (truck/trailer hire, family assistance) not involving a removal company will be regarded as being not professionally carried.  
  • Moves not involving removal companies and not professionally carried will not be afforded indemnity (insurance in transit) cover at departmental expense.  
  • Where indemnity (insurance in transit) cover is not provided as part of a removal arrangement, no payment of accelerated depreciation allowance will be allowed.

Time off to complete transfer arrangements

  • Obtain prior approval for any leave taken on full pay or the specific purpose of completing arrangements directly related to transfer.  These arrangements include the supervision of packing and unpacking of furniture and effects.

Note: Time off for this purpose is not an entitlement, but a concessional administrative arrangement.

Departmental accommodation

  • Contact the Principal/Manager at new centre to ascertain if accommodation is available and if so, seek assistance in securing such accommodation.

Furniture kits

  • Contact school or regional office to ensure a furniture kit will be available. 
  • Utilise furniture kits provided if transferred/appointed to these centres.
  • Observe limits outlined in respect of storage and or transfer of their furniture and effects.

Removal of furniture and effects

  • May be required to meet the cost of moving items in excess of the departmentally funded maximum limit of 50 m3.
  • Understand items not considered to be normal household furniture and effects will only be moved at officer's expense. 
  • Make application to Executive Director, Workforce Services for approval to move some or all of additional volume at departmental expense (where volume of officer's furniture and effects exceeds maximum limit of 50 m3 and officer believes they have exceptional circumstances).  This written submission needs to detail those exceptional circumstances. 
  • Make arrangements for the transportation of furniture and effects and private motor vehicles upon receipt of transfer/appointment advice. Where genuine grounds exist to delay transportation, arrangements may be made at a later date.
  • Complete transportation of furniture and effects and vehicles within twelve months of date of transfer or appointment.
  • Advise and seek approval from regional office for any deferred move intentions at time of transfer/appointment.

Disposal of furniture

  • Seek prior approval to dispose of furniture from the Executive Director, Workforce Services.
  • Support claim for reimbursement of los​s incurred with a written quotation from a licensed valuer as to value of effects prior to their disposal.  
  • Provide listing of sale price of all items being disposed of.

Transportation of domestic pets and/or plants in boxes or pots

  • Provide receipts to support any claim (to a maximum as stated in Transfer and Appointment Expenses Directive for the cost of transportation of domestic pets and/or plants in boxes and pots. Amount refunded is all-inclusive and provides for freight charges, pet accommodation (en route or at destination) and purchase of carrying boxes, etc.

Note: Credit card vouchers will not be accepted as they do not include a dissection of expenses incurred.

  • Domestic pets include: dogs, cats, birds and other animals kept in an officer's premises but excludes livestock (any domesticated and native animals typically raised for production of food or fibre, for example, alpacas, bison, camels, chickens, cows, donkeys, ducks, elk, emus, geese, goats, horses, llamas, mules, ostriches, pigs, sheep, reindeer, turkeys or yaks).

Indemnity cover 

  • Provide home contents insurance policy (needs to have existed for a minimum of three months prior to notification of transfer) to Toll Transitions where total value of inventory list exceeds $25,000. The department will pay cost of indemnity cover up to a limit of $60,000.

Indemnity cover - Temporary engagements (where expenses are provided for both to and from journeys).

  • Provide evidence of contents cover to Toll Transitions for both shifts as Toll Transitions regards each move as a separate arrangement.

Loss or damage

  • Contact Toll Transitions within 14 days of delivery. 
  • Complete and lodge a Notice of Loss or Damage Form to Toll Transitions electronically. Where an officer experiences any difficulty in having a damages claim settled by the removal company, contact Toll Transitions for assistance and advice. In the event that such contact does not result in a successful outcome, then contact the department to ascertain what additional assistance may be available to them.


  • Liaise with Toll Transitions before removal arrangements are put in place. 
  • Submit claim/s for refund of cost/s incurred for storage of furniture and effects (see note). 

Note: The department will meet the initial costs for storage for an eight week period. Once that eight weeks has elapsed the officer will need to pay costs directly and seek reimbursement from the department.

  • Provide a statement outlining why storage is/was required and what efforts are/were being made to secure permanent accommodation to support claim for refund of storage costs.  Storage costs, where approved, will only be met for a maximum of six months in total. The six month maximum period outlined does not apply to storage for officers transferred to remote centres.  In these circumstances, the department directly meets storage costs for officer's period of service in remote centre.

Advances against transfer expenses

  • Forward an application for advance to Finance Branch, Central Office as soon as possible after notification of transfer.  To ensure receipt of an advance payment, application should be submitted at least 10 working days prior to departure. Where short timelines exist applications may be faxed to Finance Branch via email transfers.finance@dete.qld.gov.au or fax on (07) 3225 2111.
  • Include the following in the application for advance: 
    • number of dependants (where applicable)
    • a listing of anticipated expenses en route
    • if temporary accommodation is required, type, period and approximate cost
    • a copy of transfer letter (as evidence of entitlement to expenses).
  • Reconcile all advances received as soon as possible after transfer has been effected. To reconcile an advance, a claim, with all supporting documentation, can be submitted to the Finance Branch.

Travel expenses incurred en route

  • Attach itemised tax invoices and receipts detailing costs for each person to Transfer/Appointment Expenses Claim.  Where these are not available a separate itemised sheet outlining details of meals purchased is required.
  • Attach relevant documentation to claim form in the form of a letter from relative or friend where lodging was taken with stated relative or friend detailing:
    • names of those people for whom accommodation was supplied
    • age of each child for which a claim is being made
    • dates for which accommodation was supplied
    • host's name, address and telephone number.

Transport of private vehicles

  • Arrange transport of private vehicles with Toll Transitions and progress through Client Login, Click here for Queensland Government website, Registered user/New user to do so online or use the Forms and Guides option to print Request for Relocation of Motor Vehicles Form and records details of vehicle(s) to be moved before on returning to Toll Transitions.
  • Make arrangements to move private motor vehicles upon receipt of transfer/appointment papers. Where genuine grounds exist, removal may be delayed for a period up to 12 months from date of transfer/appointment.  Regional office should be made aware and approve of any deferred move intentions at time of transfer/appointment.

Use of own motor vehicle

  • Ensure transfer/appointment approval advice letter provides for an officer on transfer/appointment to travel to his/her new centre by private vehicle if they so elect.  If not, officer should contact regional office that is arranging their transfer/appointment so that expenses entitlement information held by the department can be amended as necessary.
  • Complete declaration included in Section B 1 ‘En Route Travel Expenses’ on Transfer/Appointment Expenses Claim form.

Rail travel

  • Contact regional office to obtain approval to travel by rail.
  • Claim refund of cost of rail travel on Transfer/Appointment Expenses Claim form tickets, receipts, details of class of fare, whether cost includes sleepers, need to be included with claim form.  If a concession form was used to obtain rail tickets, this should also be indicated.

Air travel

  • Obtain prior approval from regional office for air travel.  
  • Make bookings through regional office.

Temporary board and lodging

  • Obtain accommodation at centres of departure or destination.  It would only be in unusual circumstances that refund for temporary accommodation at other centres would be approved, for example, where accommodation at centres of departure or destination was not readily available.
  • Support claim/s for refund of expenses incurred for temporary board and lodging with: 
    • tax invoices, original receipts verifying amounts paid and period covered (credit card vouchers will not be accepted as they do not show a dissection of expenses incurred),
    • a detailed explanation outlining:
      • whether officer owned and occupied a residence at their former centre
        o difficulties encountered in securing permanent accommodation at officer's new centre 
      • statements from at least three estate agents indicating efforts made to secure permanent accommodation, including details of date agent was requested to act on officer's behalf. 
  • Secure permanent accommodation within a week of an officer's arrival at a new centre.

Claims for refund 

  • Submit claims for refund as soon as possible after move is affected. Claims for refund are required to be made within 12 months of expense being incurred unless otherwise stated in this document (this requirement does not apply to either sale or purchase of residence or land). Officers may progressively make claims for refund of expenses as those expenses are incurred.  
  • Forward completed claims for payment of appointment/transfer expenses to Finance Branch, Level 13, 30 Mary Street, Brisbane Qld 4000 or PO Box 15033, City East Qld 4002 or email transfers.finance@dete.qld.gov.au or fax (07) 3225 2111.
  • Contact Finance Branch via telephone (07) 3034 5840 for any questions regarding the completion of the claim form.

Refund of stamp duty 

  • Purchase and occupy a residence within two years of arrival at new centre, or in case of land, purchase at new centre and sign a contract to erect a principal residence on that land.
  • Ensure that all purchase and/or sale transactions only take place after official written notification of transfer.  Where officers act to sell or buy real estate prior to receipt of official written notification, they will not be eligible for refund of stamp duty, titles offices fees and associated legal expenses.
  • Claims for refund need to be supported by receipt issued on payment of stamp duty, plus documentary evidence of sale of officer's previous residence or land. Documentary evidence includes: 
    • contracts for sale and purchase
    • in cases where land is purchased, a copy of building contract for erection of a residence 
    • receipt for payment of stamp duty.

Refund of Titles Office fees 

  • Support claims of this nature with documentary evidence including bank statements and contract with lender.

Refund of legal expenses for conveyancing 

  • Support claims for conveyancing costs with a tax invoice/s and original receipts verifying amounts paid.

Note: Credit card vouchers will not be accepted as they do not include a dissection of expenses incurred.

Refund of real estate commission

  • Support claims for real estate commission costs with a tax invoice/s and original receipts verifying amounts paid (credit card vouchers will not be accepted as they do not show a dissection of expenses incurred). See Transfer and Appointment Expenses Directive for maximum refund for real estate commission.
    Entitlements for temporary accommodation
  • Support all claims for temporary accommodation by details indicating efforts made to obtain permanent accommodation. Refunds of claims beyond maximum timeframes advised will be made only in exceptional circumstances.  Refunds of claims for temporary accommodation are not necessarily automatic.

Online Resources

Review Date

Attribution CC BY
​Not Applicable