When an application to register a child for home education is received, under section 208 of the Act, the manager of the Home Education Unit:
- notifies the applicant, in writing, that provisional registration has been issued
- oversees the processing of the application
- determines the issuing of registration
- notifies the applicant, in writing, of the determination.
Note: A registration certificate is issued upon the granting of registration.
When an application to provisionally register a child for home education is received, under section 207 of the Act, the manager of the Home Education Unit:
- issues provisional registration
- notifies the applicant that provisional registration has been issued
- notifies the applicant that provisional registration ends after 60 days.
Note: An application lodged under section 207 does not result in the issuing of registration for home education.
The following procedures are followed by the manager of the Home Education Unit:
- issues report preparation information to the parent approximately four months before the report is due
- oversees the processing of the report and its associated proposed program
- determines if a high-quality education and educational progress have been demonstrated in the report
- notifies the parent, if they have met the standard conditions, that the registration remains current.
Notices and Communications
All decisions related to the registration process are made in writing to the applicant.
From the manager of the Home Education Unit:
- Notice that provisional registration has been issued under section 212 or section 207 of the Act.
- Notice that registration has been issued under section 213 of the Act (this includes a Certificate of Registration).
From the chief executive or their delegate:
- Information notice that registration is refused because procedural requirements under section 210 and or 211 have not been met.
- Information notice that conditions are to be imposed on the registration under section 218 or conditions are to be changed under section 219.
- Show cause notice that registration is to be cancelled under section 222 of the Act; (e.g. no report received).
- Ending show cause notice - issued when no further action is to be taken in regards to the show cause notice (i.e. the registration can remain in place).
- Information notice that registration is cancelled (i.e. not complying with the standard conditions).
- Notice of Review decision – if a review of a decision is requested by the parent.
Where applicable, these notices have an associated timeline so as to allow the recipient time to respond or act on the notice.
In the event that decisions are made that may result in the refusal or cancellation of a registration, written notices are sent via registered mail to the parent.
In the first instance complaints about the functioning of the Home Education Unit should be directed to the manager of the Unit. Other complaints, concerns or correspondence should be directed to the Director, Registration Services (International, Non-State and Home Education).